Upholstery Experiment, glad that’s over.

Annnddd it’s done! (the before)

I love the way this chair turned out. It took a lot of elbow grease…more than I was expecting. Maybe that’s because for a long time I tried to hold foam in place, stretch fabric and use a manual staple gun all at the same time, by myself. It was frustrating and my hand would cramp after every staple. Fortunately my hubby took an hour break from homework to help me.

It was kind of intense. Hence the lack of “during” pictures. I was too concentrated to think of taking pictures. Though if you have an automatic staple gun it might not be so bad. I would have to staple and then hammer some staples in. We had to hold the chair in tricky positions to staple it. Matt and I did try to use some “upholstery techniques” that we created when studying the old chair. If we would have spent time/money getting better equipment, it would have all worked perfectly. But instead we found ourselves having to use weird methods to “fake” it. That happens with all my projects. But whatever, the product is great, despite the learning curve.

I bought 1 & 1/2 yards 1″ high density foam for the padding. That stuff is not cheap and I had a coupon for 40% off a single cut of something. So I just double layered the foam over the springs. I decided to do foam for the backing too, instead of upholstery batting. I thought the fabric was interesting enough that it didn’t need to be tufted or anything fancy. The very back of the chair is just thin plywood with fabric stretched over it.

So, success!

If you wanna doing something like this and need a helper…I’m all over it.

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Upholstery Experiment, glad that’s over.

    • Thanks Linsey! I got the fabric at Fabric Depot…if you ever want to know more about, I can track down the info!

      • :) It’s basically a gigantic fabric warehouse. I find places like that are the best because they carry a range of qualities (aka prices) and have killer sales.

        Take care!

    • Thaks Erica! I know you could do this too! It was actually pretty simple, just took a little thought, which is generally the part I skip, haha.

      • haha I would let you do that! in fact…I kind of want you to…. :) Matt can fix the bear and you can make it pretty?!

    • Thanks Beth! Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out. It’s really fun to see your hard work turn into something beautiful and functional!

  1. Very nice. I like the painted wood, as well. It sets off the fabric. I am supposing the cushions did not come completely off the frame, so that made it extra difficult to staple. I know what you mean about the cost of foam. I was shocked when I did my dining room set, with your help I might add.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s